Wednesday, September 8, 2021

VII. STRAVINSKY, Igor: Le Sacre du Printemps

VII. STRAVINSKY, Igor (1882-1971)

Le Sacre du Printemps (1913)
Part I: L'Adoration de la Terre (Adoration of the Earth)

Introduction
Les Augures printaniers (Augurs of Spring)
Jeu du rapt (Ritual of Abduction)
Rondes printanières (Spring Rounds)
Jeux des cités rivales (Ritual of the Rival Tribes)
Cortège du sage: Le Sage (Procession of the Sage: The Sage)
Danse de la terre (Dance of the Earth)

Part II: Le Sacrifice (The Sacrifice)
Cercles mystérieux des adolescentes (Mystic Circles of the Young Girls)
Glorification de l'élue (Glorification of the Chosen One)
Évocation des ancêtres (Evocation of the Ancestors)
Action rituelle des ancêtres (Ritual Action of the Ancestors)
Danse sacrale (L'Élue) (Sacrificial Dance)

Radio Filharmonisch Orkest
Jaap van Zweden, cond.
(36:39)


On April 16, 1971, my 18-year-old self had my first lesson with the 84-year-old Nadia Boulanger.

Midway through the lesson, her butler entered the room and whispered something to her. With tears in her eyes, she told me that her dearest friend, Igor Stravinsky, had just died. I tried to excuse myself, but she insisted on finishing the lesson and then she went into mourning.

Many months later, after proving my abilities to part-write the Vidal basses and having told her of my great love for this work, I arrived at the lesson with the full score propped up on the piano. In 90 minutes, she taught me a lot about this great masterpiece!


Into the weeds:

No comments:

Post a Comment

CMLXIX. HAYDN, Franz Joseph: Sonata #38 in F Major for Piano

CMLXIX. HAYDN, Franz Joseph (1732-1809) Sonata #38 in F Major for Piano (1773) 1. (Moderato) (4:37) 2. Adagio (5:45) 3. Finale: Presto (3:3...