Thursday, January 20, 2022

CXLI. HAYDN, Franz Joseph: The Siller Crown

CXLI. HAYDN, Franz Joseph (1732-1809)

The Siller Crown
Lorna Anderson, soprano
Haydn Eisenstadt Trio
(3:52)


In those days, with no internet, television or radio, middle-class families entertained themselves by singing and playing music together.

It was not uncommon to have a household with a good singer, violinist, cellist and pianist.

Folk music -- at the top of the charts in the 18th century -- was particularly well-suited to such a family -- but they might have been ill-equipped to provide their own arrangements for such music.

Thus, publishers were eager to have "real" composers provide good parts for a family trio + singer -- and many such publishers made their fortunes by providing such material.

Haydn -- who had a deep love of folk music -- was one of the first greats to find lucrative paydays with publishers such as George Thomson and William Whyte, who published huge volumes of his folksong arrangements.

When Vienna was occupied during the Napoleonic Wars, and Beethoven was quite ill, he found himself lacking for funds. Haydn recommended him to his English publishers, and Beethoven was to avail himself of the same opportunities that had been afforded earlier to Haydn.

**

A Scottish folk song:

And ye shall walk in silk attire,
And siller ha'e to spare,
Gin ye'll consent to be his bride,
Nor think o' Donald mair.
Oh, wha wad buy a silken goun,
Wi' a puir broken heart?
Or what's to me a siller croun
Gin frae my love I part?

The mind whase every wish is pure,
Far dearer is to me;
And ere I'm forced to break my faith,
I'll lay me down and dee;
For I ha'e pledged my virgin troth,
Brave Donald's fate to share,
And he has gi'en to me his heart,
Wi' a' its virtues rare.

His gentle manner wan my heart,
He gratefu' took the gift;
Could I but think to see it back,
It wad be waur than theft.
For longest life can ne'er repay
The love he bears to me;
And ere I'm forced to break my troth,
I'll lay me doun and dee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CMLXXV. MIRSHAKAR, Zarrina: 12 bytes for Piano

CMLXXV. MIRSHAKAR, Zarrina (1947-       ) 12 bytes for Piano (1982) Natalia Sokolovskaya, piano (11:51)