Wednesday, January 12, 2022

CXXXIII. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus: Popoli di Tessaglia! -- Io non chiedo, eterni Dei, K. 316/300b

CXXXIII. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus (1756-1791)

Popoli di Tessaglia! -- Io non chiedo, eterni Dei, K. 316/300b (1779)
Recitative and Aria
Sabine Devieilhe, soprano
(11:55)

Mozart originally composed this as an "insertion aria" for Gluck's Alceste.

As the soprano must hit a high G in the final bars, it was seldom performed in the opera and is nowadays presented as a "concert aria" for those few coloraturas who can handle it!

Popoli di Tessaglia,
ah mai più giusto fu il vostro pianto;
a voi non men che a questi
innocenti fanciulli Admeto è padre.
Io perdo il caro sposo, e voi l'amato re.
La nostra sola spreanza, il nostro amor
c'invola questo caso crudel,
né so chi prima in si grave sciagura
a compianger m'appigli
del regno, di me stessa, o de' miei figli.
La pietà degli dei sola
ci resta d'implorare, d'ottener.
Verrò compangna alle vostre preghiere,
a' vostri sacrifizi avanti all'are
una misera madre, due bambini infelici,
tutto un popolo in pianto presenter
ò cosi.
Forse con questo spettacolo funesto,
in cui dolente gli affetti,
i voti suoi dichiara un regno,
placato alfin sarà del ciel lo sdegno.

Io non chiedo, eterni dei
tutto il ciel per me sereno.
Ma il mio duol consoli almeno,
qualche raggio di pietà.
Non comprende mali miei
né il terror che m'empie il petto,
chi di moglie il vivo affetto,
chi di madre il cor non ha.

Peoples of Thessaly,
ah, your teaers were never more just;
to you no less than to these
innocent children Admetus is a father.
I lose the dear husband, and you the beloved king.
Our only hope, our love
this cruel case takes us away,
nor do I know who before in such a grave disaster
to feel sorry for me
of the kingdom, of myself, or of my children.
The mercy of the gods alone
it remains for us to beg, to obtain.
I will come as a companion to your prayers,
to your sacrifices before thee are
a miserable mother, two unhappy children,
I will present a whole people in tears like this.
perhaps with this fatal sight,
in which painful the affections,
his vows declare a kingdom,
at last, there will be indignation from heaven.

I don't ask, eternal gods
all the sky for me is clear.
But my grief consoles at least,
some ray of pity.
He does not understand my ills
nor the terror that fills my chest,
who of a wife the keen affection,
who does not have the heart of a mother.

The high G's (9:59):





No comments:

Post a Comment

CMLXXVIII. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus: Concerto #1 in G Major for Flute and Orchestra, K. 313

CMLXXVIII. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus (1756-1791) Concerto #1 in G Major for Flute and Orchestra, K. 313 (1778) 1. Allegro maestoso 2. Adagio...