Friday, April 8, 2022

CCXIX. PENDERECKI, Krzysztof: Benedicamus Domino

CCXIX. PENDERECKI, Krzysztof (1933-2020)

Benedicamus Domino (1992)
{Organum und Psalm 117}
Vocalitis Nova
Philipp Büttner, cond.
(3:07)



As a young teenager, the discovery of the Threnody (see Post XIX) sent me scurrying to Carnegie Library to investigate his many other diverse works.

Upon obtaining a recording (and later the full score) of the St. Luke Passion, I found myself as a 15-year-old kid involved with assisting a conductor of a local performance in Pittsburgh, because I had pretty much memorized the piece. [I was his ears in the back of the hall to make sure the massive orchestral and choral forces sounded balanced.]

Many years later (1976), I had the great honor of meeting him at the music publishing company in NYC where I was working. His music has had a profound influence on my own compositions.

**

This short work for a cappella male choir is typical of his compositions for single sections taken from the Mass. It is like a Renaissance painting whose colors have faded restored to its former glory in the 20th century.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CMLXXXIII. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus: Cassation #1 in G Major, K. 63

CMLXXXIII. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus (1756-1791) Cassation #1 in G Major, K. 63 (1769) 1. Marcia 2. Allegro 3. Andante 4. Menuetto. -- Trio ...