Tuesday, April 5, 2022

CCXVI. MOZART, Wolfgang: Verdankt sei es dem Glanz der Grossen, K. 392

CCXVI. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus (1756-1791)

Verdankt sei es dem Glanz der Grossen, K. 392 (1781-82)
Elly Ameling, soprano
Dalton Baldwin, piano
(2:13)




































Thanks to the glory of the great
for showing me my insignificance so clearly.
It has never repulsed me
because it has never reached me.
I have seen many small people approach it
but I remained firmly in my place.

I value these narrow boundaries
in which I am so insignificant.
Here I see stars and decorations gleaming
but they are of no interest to me.
Not even the most gracious face
can make me leave my circle.

But if the displeasure of some great man
should show me that I am a nonentity
then, innocence, teach me to keep quiet
and give me fearlessness and,
gently comforting impress upon me
that there is no shame in being small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CMLXXVIII. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus: Concerto #1 in G Major for Flute and Orchestra, K. 313

CMLXXVIII. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus (1756-1791) Concerto #1 in G Major for Flute and Orchestra, K. 313 (1778) 1. Allegro maestoso 2. Adagio...