Tuesday, May 3, 2022

CCXLIV. BACH, J.S.: Cantata #203: Amore Traditore, BWV 203

CCXLIV. BACH, J.S. (1685-1750)

Cantata #203: Amore Traditore, BWV 203 (1718-19)
1. Aria: Amore traditore
2. Recitative: Voglio provar
3. Aria: Chi in amore ha nemica la sorte
Mattijs van de Woerd, bass
Siebe Henstra, harpsichord
(13:47)



One of only two cantatas with an Italian text (the other, BWV 209: see Post XXIII), this secular cantata is as simple as it gets -- just a solo bass and harpsichord ...

The subject is faithless or unrequited love:

Aria

Amore traditore / Treacherous Love
tu non m'inganni più / you deceive me no more.
Non voglio più catene, / No longer will I wear chains,
non voglio affanni pene / nor bear anguish, distress,
cordoglio e servitù / heartache and servitude.

Recitative

Voglio provar, / I'll see
se posso sanar l'anima mia / if I can heal my spirit
dalla piaga fatale, / of its fatal wound, and whether
e viver si può senza il tuo strale; / I can live without your dart;
non sia più la speranza / no more shall hope
lusinga del dolore / delude my sorrow
e la gioia nel mio core, / nor the joy in my heart
più tuo scherzo sarà / be your mockery
nella mia constanza. / of my constancy.

Aria

Chi in amore ha nemica la sorte, / If fate is hostile to one in love
è follia, se non lascia d'amar, / it is folly not to cease loving;
Sprezzi l'almà le crude ritorte, / let the heart despise the cruel fetters
se non trova mercede al penar. / if it finds no reward for its pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CMLXXVIII. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus: Concerto #1 in G Major for Flute and Orchestra, K. 313

CMLXXVIII. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus (1756-1791) Concerto #1 in G Major for Flute and Orchestra, K. 313 (1778) 1. Allegro maestoso 2. Adagio...