Friday, December 2, 2022

CDLVII. CICONIA, Johannes: Con lagreme bagnandome nel viso

CDLVII. CICONIA, Johannes (c. 1370-1412)

Con lagreme bagnandome nel viso (either 1393 or 1406)
Robert Harre-Jones, alto
Charles Daniels, tenor
(4:47)


Born in Liège, but worked most of his life in Italy.

It is thought that he was in the service of Pope Boniface IX in Rome in 1391. From 1401, he was connected to the cathedral of Padua in some capacity.

This ballata (or lament) was either written for the death of Francesco of Carrara (1406), or Francesco il Vecchio (1393).

**

Bathing my face in tears
I left my lord
Wherefore I am undone by woe
When I think how I am sundered from him

Alas, woe is me, alas, harsh parting
That nevermore do you return to this world

Alas, cruel death, alas, pitiless life
How couldst thou part me from my joyous love?

Alas, greedy, evil, insatiable one
Without any moderation

Thy balance now kicks the beam
Since thou hast taken from me all my joy and laughter

No comments:

Post a Comment

CMLXXVIII. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus: Concerto #1 in G Major for Flute and Orchestra, K. 313

CMLXXVIII. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus (1756-1791) Concerto #1 in G Major for Flute and Orchestra, K. 313 (1778) 1. Allegro maestoso 2. Adagio...